Tenterden Club for the whole community
Tel: 01580 762888
The Tenterden Club
The Tenterden Club is a private members social club with over 600 members. Downstairs you will find two bars, a television room and a snooker hall with two full sized snooker tables. Upstairs you will find a large hall with a dance floor and a bar which are available for members and non members to hire for special functions. Together the upstairs Moulton Hall and Evans Bar will comfortably seat 100+ people for a sit down meal and many more if you want the area for a dance, a disco or a social gathering.
Union - prior to 1963
Both of the above establishments were run separately until the first World War and due to financial restraints they were then amalgamated and used the property in Church Road under the name of Tenterden Workingmen's Club until 1963. It was then decided to completely gut out the rear of the premises and carry out an enormous rebuild programme.
The Conservative Workingmen's Club - 1889
The Conservative Workingmen's Club, according to the Thomson's Directory and Almanac 1895, was built in the year 1889, in the Church Lane, has Reading-room, Library, Billiard-room, and Gymnasium, with all other accessories, being the generous outcome of the late J.L. Dennys, Esq., Ivy Court. Open from 10 a.m. till 10 p.m. Consisting of General Room, Gymnasium and Reading Rooms. The General Room contains Billiard Table, Bagatelle Board, and Card Tables.
Subscriptions 2d per week payable in advance. Visitors admitted on payment of 1d. per day;
Non-residents on payment of 1/- for 4 weeks in advance. The Committee consists of 10 workingmen, five of whom retire the first Wednesday in January and five in July.
Workmen's Club - 1875
The Workmen's Club was established in 1875, Unsectarian and Non-Political, and in a write up from the Thomson's Directory and Almanac of 1875 it was described as follows:
Is situate in the centre of the town, opposite Church Lane, and is affiliated to the Workingmen's Clubs Union. It has a good reading-room, and general room for amusements of all kinds with a billiard table, also a refreshment Bar. This Institution had undergone thorough repair, and a very great improvement in the general room has been made by raising the ceiling 4 ft.6 in., match boarded and varnished. The ventilation, appearance and comfort, compared with its former state, is all that one can desire.
The bed of the Billiard Table has been renovated, bringing it almost to perfection for those interested in the game; the convenience for players and spectators reflects great credit on the committee. Strangers can use the Reading-room, which is most pleasantly situate in the centre of the Town, by putting 1d into the Contribution Box each time.
The windows of the Institute have a commanding view of nearly the whole of the High Street, making it most useful in business engagements, for either ladies or gentlemen. The Annual Meeting is held in March a Supper being provided for the members at 1/9 each. Weekly subscriptions 2d and the committee is comprised of 8 Labourers, 8 Artisans and 8 from other sources.
Club open - Reading room from 10 a.m. General Room from 6 p.m. to 11p.m. all the year round.